Search This Blog

Monday, May 22, 2006

Eurovision Night !

We had a fantastic time at Ines' on Sunday night for our annual Eurovision Night !

We had just the original members of the group, Brig, Ines, Dave, Tony and Myself, except we were missing Harri, but we had her comments printed out so she was there in spirit!

This years Eurovision was so much better than last year! Most of the acts were great and we got into them straight away, unlike most years where it really takes a few goes through the CD in the car to get into them.

A few points though:

Finland: How the HELL did Finland win?? Tony was just beside himself! Heavy metal/rock band, winning Eurovision, its unheard of! The song is catchy, but having listened to it twice today on the CD (which I got this morning!), its starting to give me a headache!

Israel: How the HELL did they only get 4 points? Are people MAD? The song was fabulous! The singer wonderful! (An African American singing in Hebrew for Israel?? What the ?)

Germany: An Aussie chick singing lead from Newcastle! Woohoo! And really, listening to it again today, I absolutely LOVE the song. I dont usually go for Country music, but this one is SO catchy! Love it!

Denmark: Love it! Very very boppy/catchy!

France: Ho hum.. ANOTHER ballad.. what a surprise..

UK: On the night, it didn't really grab me completely.. I liked it, but now I LOVE it!

Lithuania: I cannot believe they sang a song about winning Eurovision! AND its good! Hugely fun and catchy song!

Latvia: UGH! YUCK! Acappello should only be performed by people who can SING ACAPPELLO!

Moldova: Another good one that grows on you!

Macadonia (Why oh why can they not just call it Macadonia?! FYR Macadenia is just too long!!): Another good one!

Romania: Can anyone say Numa Numa Dance?! How much did that sound like Numa Numa?? Having said that, it was damn good!

Russia: Came second.. eh.. catchy.. eh..

Sweden: What happened?! Did this year's entry NOT consult the National Academy of How To Perform ABBA-like hits?! Very disappointing!

Turkey: As Harri says - There are NO natural blondes in Turkey! LOL

Ukraine: I think Ukraine paid far too much attention to last year's winners!

Ok, those are the ones I wanted to mention.. and I really didn't like the new voting procedure.. I understand why they only announce the highest 3 scores, I mean 37 countries voting would have taken till next week, but it just makes the whole thing too fast! You can't see the progression of the winner. Personally I liked it better when they only had the countries in the final voting.

Aaaanyways.. my prediction for next year? A lot of rock/heavy metal numbers ;-( This is the beginning of the end of Eurovision I'm afraid!

Lets get back to embarassing ABBA-like acts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ABBA-esque acts are the crux of entertainment for Eurovision. After this shocking win by Finland, I will never ever complain about ABBA-esque bands again!!!