Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's *Cough* *Splutter* Day

Well I made it through Mother's Day! With a sore throat, constant coughing, an all day fever and various other aches and pains, but I made it!

And here endeth the Pity Party!

I had a fantastic Mother's Day!

It all started with my present from Josie. It was a gorgeous little silver box with little jewels stuck on the lid, and a hand drawn card with MUMMY on the cover! Just gorgeous ;-)

Then at 10am we met Baba and Dyeda, Vika and Becka and Anna and Jayden at Yum Cha. It was nice and early so the crowds were non-existent and the food was quick and plentiful. For anyone in the Sydney region, there is NO better Yum Cha than at Marigold! It was, as usual, delicious, and Josie loved playing with Becka and Jayden again.

After Yum Cha we went to Granny's for a bit while Tony fixed the gate so that Rascal (the annoying mutt!!) couldnt get out. Its a metal chain link fence. And he chewed through it! Then about a year ago Tony attached some perspex against it and that lasted a while before Rascal finally demolished it. Into itty bitty pieces (ok so Im taking a bit of poet license here). So now he has attached some wood to it so hopefully it will last a bit longer against the might of Rascal the Destroyer.

So after that was done we all went to Uncle Mat's for lunch and games. After eating MORE delicious food, we sat around for a bit while Mat and Tony and Jacqui played with the Guitar Hero, and then we played Cranium for a while before it was time to go as we had ANOTHER get together to get to!

Now since last week I had been telling Josie that she had to stay overnight at Baba's this night because mummy and daddy were going to be going out and we were getting back very late. She wasn't too pleased, she's gotten a bit difficult about staying overnight at Granny's and Baba's places. So all through the day I kept reminding her, and then when we were coming back from Yum Cha (with Becka and Vika in the car) she had a bit of a tantrum cause she wanted to go to Becka's house to play. So I told her that if she was a good girl and came to Uncle Mat's place for a while, then we would take her to Vika's place and she could sleep over there. She uhmed and ahhed and then agreed.

Mari (looking back at Vika): Mum's gonna have a cow..
Josie (in surprise): Did you just say.. Baba is going to have a COW?!?
(hysterical laughter ensues)

Mum actually took it much better than expected..

So after Mat's we go to drop Josie off at Vika's place. She got a bit clingy when we were going to leave but she was ok. Luckily Becka is reading The Hobbit for school, and Tony is in the middle of reading it to Josie each bedtime, so Becka was able to read to her from it.

So off we went to the climax of our night.

Eurovision at Ines' place! We got there with seconds to spare, Brig was already there, so we rushed in and got settled on the couch (the boys on the floor) and took out our scoring papers, and Harri's printed out score sheet.

Yes its that time of year again when Europe (and some tag alongs) get together, choose their wackiest (and I mean WACKIEST) singing sensation, make their politically correct votes and entertain the world.

And may I start by saying WACKY!

Leading the Wacky Pack was most definitely Ukraine. It was a fabulous song, but the act, well, lets just say they used a lot of aluminium!

Runner up in the Wacky Stakes would have to be the guy in the feathers, silver bolero jacket and huge thing around his neck from Sweden. He took his jacket off. That could be bonus points, or it could be loss of points, depending on how you look at it.

I really loved Romania though. No one else liked it, but I thought the song was great ;-)

The voting was the usual politically motivated rubbish. How else would have Serbia won? I mean she was good. Better than a lot of the acts. But I swear the Ukraine should have won on sheer wackiness! They did come second though!

Now having been watching the TIVO'd prelims from the night before as I write this, I have to say, Denmark, I cannot believe they didn't make it into the finals! A man, dressed in a hot pink, sequinned, revealling dress, and feather head piece.. a shoe-in I would have thought!?

So that made for a late night, with Tony lamenting the over abundance of clothing on the female performers, and the lack of clothing on the male performers, but it was a great conclusion to a fabulous Mother's Day!

For last year's recap, click here.

I fell asleep on the way home and went straight to bed because I had to be at Vika's at 7am to pick up the kids and take them to school.

6:20am my alarm went off. With my coughing and not feeling well it took me all my will power and determination to get out of bed!

So after picking up the girls, dropping off Becka at school, then heading down to the preschool, I parked the car and got out, putting my phone in my pocket. Which normally isn't a problem, except this morning it had to be a problem. As I turned around, the phone popped out of my pocket and flew under the car. By this time Josie was out of the car and I couldnt be bothered putting her back in in order to move the car so I left it there.

In we went to a lovely set up of breakfast cereals, assorted bagels, and fruit. We had a lovely breakfast all together with Rachel, Michelle and Miriam, and then went out the back where one of the dads had set up a Dr Smoothie stall (he owns it) and was giving out snow cups in various different flavours, including coffee, which I desperately needed!

After saying my goodbyes, I headed back to the car, where I had to reverse, hop out, grab my phone (thank god it had a plastic cover on it!), and then head off to work.

I have to say, Im still not 100%. Coughing like a madwoman, a fever lingering, it was not a pleasant day at work, but having said that, a non-pleasant day at this job is 100 times better than a pleasant day at any other job I have had so far. I continue to be amazed at how much I love what I am doing at the moment ;-)

Aaaanyway.. this has been quite a long update hasnt it? Happy Mothers Day mum!!

No comments: